Saturday, February 2, 2013

Hope Afterall?

I took my grandmother to the bank to tend to some business. After waiting maybe 1/2 hour to see a banker we're told they can't do anything for us.
On the way out she says she needs to use the restroom. The bank doesn't have one of course. So we walk to the the nearby Wal-Mart. Men's room is closed for cleaning (she's in a wheelchair and can't go in by herself). So we go nearby to the McDonald's. The stall in the men's room is locked. So we're waiting outside watching people come and go, but nobody comes out of the stall.
After a while a young man, maybe about 10, comes out and motions to the ladies' room door. "Do you need someone to open that?" I explained that, no, I was waiting for the guy to come out of the stall. The young gentleman went back into the men's room, then came out and said "there's nobody in there" and held the door for us. I tried the door again and it was still locked. He said, "yeah, it's locked, but there's nobody in there. I checked." Bless his heart, the boy gets down on the floor of the McDonald's bathroom and crawls under the door to unlock it for us.
As we were on our way out he was there emptying his tray with an older man (dad, brother, doesn't matter) and I said, "you're my hero, thanks again." He smiled and held the door for us to get out of the restaurant.
Somebody's raising their kid right. So thank you, young man, for putting a little shine on what was shaping up to be a crappy day, and thank you this kid's parents for understanding the importance of raising children with the ability and class to restore decency to our sad, selfish society. My hat is off to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment